Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Undercover by Beth Kephart Book Review

Undercover by Beth Kephart
(Harper Teen, Hardcover)

You must rush out and get this book as soon as it's released (Sept. 18th, I think). Seriously, it's that wonderful! I was lucky enough to get an advance copy and I fell in love with it as soon as I read it and here's why...
Elisa ghostwrites love letters for boys at school, which sounds corny. But it works in this novel because it's so ironic - Elisa gets to talk to all the popular boys but, unless she's giving them a love letter for their current girlfriend, they don't notice her. So shy, clumsy, totally-un-girly Elisa surrounds herself with writing and learning to ice skate. This book was magical for me because I completely escaped into Elisa's story and her beautiful writing (if you only read a few pages, read her poems). Oh, and Elisa's English teacher recommends that she keep a "book of words" which is basically a journal of words and their definitions, some real and some made-up. I was so inspired that I started my own word journal. This isn't a love story, per say. It's a novel about finding yourself. As the front cover says, "Nature is not the number one mystery. It's the heart that takes top honors."


  1. Dear Em,

    A few weeks ago, I came upon your extremely generous words about UNDERCOVER. I wasn't quite blog-savvy at the time and didn't know how to thank you, but now, I think, I do.

    Your words, your enthusiasm, are deeply appreciated.

    Take care,

    Beth Kephart

  2. This sounds pretty interesting! And the cover's cool, too. I'm glad my library's getting it. :-)


Like it, love it, or really hate it? Leave a comment and let me know. I love hearing from other people! And if you'd like to email me, my email address is emsbookshelf@gmail.com.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.